September 27, 2010

Recipe of the Day

I like going through my old diaries.  Much of it's just details about people and places, but every so often I find something useful.  Here, take this recipe for bum sundae:   



I drew this while living in China.  PC it is not, but then again, I've never been much of a drawerThis seemingly obsessive fascination with bums was a strange period in my life.  I stood at bus stations around Suzhou, listening to street people play the erhuThere was a certain mystique surrounding them, which drove the idea home:  I was a long way from home.  


The poor looked old timey, quiltedIt was, of course, a bit of illusion--a way of raking in more money, and I was happy to oblige.  They did not give the impression of being "between jobs" or "homeless."  They had simply chosen a roll, and lived it to the fullest.    

The idea for the bum sundae is a celebration of sorts.  There is the imagination, and then there are human boundaries.  By blurring the distinction between the two, the result is something deliciously mischievous.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This made my day. Thank you.